Tokyo Temples - Details on the most popular Tokyo Temples and the elements of Tokyo Temples.
Bentendo Hall Temple is a Benzaiten Temple on an island in the the middle of Shinobazu Pond, which forms part of Ueno Park Tokyo. Bentendo Hall Temple was constructed in the early 17th century by Mizunoya Katsutaka, a feudal lord. The current Bentendo Hall Temple was built in 1958 after the original temple building was destroyed by allied bombing in 1945.
Dempoin Temple is a Buddhist temple close to Sensoji Temple, in the Asakusa District of Taito Ward of Tokyo. Dempoin Temple is not normally open to the public, but it does contain a Japanese garden with a pond which has a design similar to Katsura Imperial Villa in Kyoto.
Denzuin Temple, formally known as Muryozan Denzuin Jikyuji Temple, is a Buddhist temple in Bunkyo Tokyo. Denzuin Temple was built by Tokugawa Ieyasu and dedicated it to his mother. Kafu Nagai, a Japanese novelist, placed his story in Denzuin Temple.
Gojunoto is the Five Story high Pagoda within the Sensoji Temple complex. Gojunoto is said to contain some of the ashes of Buddha.
Gokoku-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple in Bunkyo central Tokyo which is the Imperial Mausoleum and where Emperor Meiji is buried. Gokoku-ji Temple, established in 1681 by Tokugawa Tsunayoshi for his mother, is also famous as the central temple that oversees the practice of Japanese tea ceremony in all the country's temples.
Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple, officially known as Jodoshin sect Higashi-honganji-ha Higashi-Honganji Temple, is a Buddhist temple of the Jodo Shinshu sect, in Asakusa District, Taito Ward central Tokyo. Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple was originally built in Kanda, Tokyo by Kyonyo, the 12th Priest of Higashi-Honganji, in 1651 and it was known as the Edo Gobo Kozuiji Temple. After a fire in 1657 Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple was moved to its current site in Asakusa and was called Asakusa Honganji Temple. Then in 1965, Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple changed its name again to Tokyo Higashi-Honganji Temple. After the conflict called 'Ohigashi Sodo', it went independent from Otani sect in 1981.
Ikegami Honmon-ji Temple is a Buddhist Temple which was established in 1282, by the famous Buddhist monk Nichiren. Ikegami Honmon-ji Temple features a five story pagoda, which was built in 1608 and is a designated Important Cultural Property, the Kyozo built in 1784 and the hoto, where Nichiren was cremated, built in 1781. All the other buildings have been built or rebuilt since 1945, when all the other buildings were destroyed by fire bombing. Between October 11 - 13th Ikegami Honmon-ji Temple holds the O-Eshiki festival. Ikegami Honmon-ji Temple is in Ota Ward of Tokyo.
Jindaiji Temple is Buddhist temple within Jindai Botanical Garden in Chofu Tokyo. Jindaiji Temple was established in 733AD making it the second oldest temple in Tokyo, after Sensoji Temple. The temple bell and a statue of Buddha, which date back to the Hakuho period, are designated Cultral Assests of National Importance.
Dominating the entrance to the Sensoji Temple is the Kaminari-mon or "Thunder Gate". This imposing Buddhist structure features a massive paper lantern dramatically painted in vivid red-and-black tones to suggest thunderclouds and lightning.
Kaneiji Temple, more formally known as Toeizan Kan'ei-ji Endon'in, is a Buddhist temple from the Tendai sect which is in what today is Ueno Park. however Ueno Park was actually formed from the grounds that belonged to Kaneiji Temple. Kaneiji Temple was established in 1625 by Tenkai. At its height of power Kaneiji Temple covered a large area and consisted of over 30 buildings including Rinnoji Temple. Many temple structures were destroyed in the great Mereiki fire of 1657. Some building were rebuilt only to be destroyed in World War II. Kaneiji Temple includes one Important Cultural Property, the Front Gate of Hondo, which was a grand and magnificent structure. The Front Gate of Hondo escaped the fire of May 1868, which destroyed all the other temple buildings. The fire was caused by the war of Shogitai. The Front Gate of Hondo had been used as the main entrance for the Tokyo National Museum since the museum was opened in 1878. When the museum was reconstruction, after the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the gate was moved to its present location.
Kissho-ji Temple (also spelt Kichijo-ji) is a Buddhist temple of Sendan-Rin sect in Bunkyo Tokyo. Kissho-ji Temple was established in 1458, with the "Sendan-Rin" School for Buddhist monks being established in the grounds of the temple in 1592. In 1905 the school was renamed, Soto-shu University, which was again renamed in 1925 Komazawa University.
Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple is a Buddhist temple in Ueno Park Tokyo. Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple was established by Tenkai Sojo, who based the design on the famous Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto. Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple which was completed in 1631 has survived the civil wars and the fire bombing of World War II to be one of the oldest temples in Tokyo.
Narihira-san Tosen-ji Temple, also known as Tosen-ji Temple, is a Buddhist temple near Mizumoto Park in Katsushika Ward of north eastern Tokyo. Narihira-san Tosen-ji Temple is famous for the "Bound Jizo" mentioned in the Case of the Bound Jizo of Ooka Tadasuke, a famous Edo Period judge.
Nishiarai Daishi is a Buddhist temple of the Buzan branch of the Shingon Sect, located in the Nishiarai District of Adachi Ward Tokyo. Nishiarai Daishi, formally know as Gochisan Henjoin Soji-ji Temple, it is said to be one of the Three Great Temples of Kanto. Many people visit Nishiarai Daishi during the New Year period.
Rinnoji Temple, also known as Rinno-ji Ryodaishi-do, is a Buddhist temple, which was a part of the cathedral of Kaneiji Temple and was called Kaizan-do or Jigen-do. In 1644 when Rinnoji Temple was constructed, what is now Ueno Park used to be the grounds of Kaneiji Temple. When Jigen Daishi (Tenkai), the founder of Kaneiji Temple, passed away, they enshrined him along with Jie Daishi (Ryogen), whom Jigen Daishi highly respected, at Rinnoji Temple. As Rinnoji Temple enshrines these two priests, it is also known as Ryodaishi-do (means two great teachers' temple). The main temple building was reconstructed in 1993 after several fires.
Sengakuji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Soto Zen sect, which is in Takanawa District of Minato Tokyo. Sengakuji Temple is famous as the location of the graves of Asano Takumi no Kami Naganori and the Forty-seven Ronin, who were involved in the Revenge of the Forty-seven Ronin, also known as the Revenge of the Forty-seven Samurai or Ako vendetta. Sengakuji Temple was originally constructed under the orders of Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1612 close to Edo Castle. However Sengakuji Temple was later destroyed by fire and then rebuilt on its present day site. On the 14th of December each year, the aniversary of the Revenge of the Forty-seven Ronin, Sengakuji Temple holds a festival which includes a ceremony in the graveyard.
Sensoji Temple is an ancient Buddhist temple also known as Asakusa Temple. Sensoji Temple is Tokyo's oldest, and one of its most significant, temples. Sensoji Temple is in Asakusa District of Taito Ward Tokyo.
Shibamata Taikyakuten, formally known as Kyoeizan Daikyoji Temple, is a Buddhist temple of the Nichiren sect, which is in Shibamata District Katsushika Ward of Tokyo. Shibamata Taikyakuten, established in 1629, is particularly popular on New Years day and other festival days. Shibamata Taikyakuten was used in the famous Japanese film Otoko wa Tsurai yo (It's tough being a man). In 1996 the Ministry of the Environment designated Shibamata Taikyakuten and its ferry boat as one of the 100 Soundscapes of Japan.
Shofukuji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai Zen sect which is in Higashimurayama Tokyo. The Jizo Hall of Shofukuji Temple dates from 1407, which is considered to be the oldest intact building in Tokyo Prefecture and a National Treasure of Japan. The Jizo Hall is one of the few remaining examples of Kamakura architecture. Shofukuji Temple was established in 1270 and the original Jizo Hall was completed in 1278.
Taieizan Ryusenji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Tendai Sect which is famous for its image of Achala with black eyes. Taieizan Ryusenji Temple is also referred to as Meguro Fudoson as it is in the Meguro Ward Tokyo. After the main hall burnt down in 1615, it was rebuilt by Tokugawa Shogunate in 1624.
Tamagawa Daishi Temple, officially known as Gyokushin Mitsuin Temple, is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect which was built in 1925. Tamagawa Daishi Temple is in the Seta District of Setagaya Ward Tokyo. Tamagawa Daishi Temple is famous for its 300 candlelit statues of Kannon, that are placed along a dark twisting corridor which represents the intestines of Vairocana Buddha.
Tsukiji Honganji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Jodo Shinshu sect in the Tsukiji District of Chuo Ward Tokyo. The current Tsukiji Honganji Temple building was completed in 1934 and designed by Chuuta Ito of the University of Tokyo and features an architecture which is influenced by the design of temples from south Asia. Tsukiji Honganji Temple holds artifacts of Prince Shotoku, Shinran Shonin, and Kyonyo Shonin, which makes the temple a popular destination for pilgrimes.
Yushima Temple, also known as Yushima Seido, is a Buddhist temple in the Yushima District of Bunkyo Ward Tokyo. Yushima Temple was constrcted in 1630, by the fifth-generation Tokugawa Shogun, Tsunayoshi, to enshrine Confucius. Yushima Temple used to be the Shoheizaka School of Edo Shogunate. Yushima Temple is very close to Ochanomizu Station.
See also Tokyo Shrines
Meiji Jingu Shrine - Most popular Shrine
Tokyo; convenient located next to
Yasukuni Shrine - A controversial shrine to Japan's war dead, housing the souls of some 2.5 million people killed in Japan's wars
See also Japanese Temples
a young Japanese woman selects a fortune slip to help find good luck for
the year. If the fortune slip's result is good, she will keep it. If it's
not, she can tie it on a tree or a board to bring better luck.
is the place to offer your money to the temple. People throw their money
into the box and pray their happiness.
The first thing you have to do in a temple is to purify your hands here.
Author: Craig Fryer