JUFUKUJI TEMPLE KAMAKURA
Jufukuji Temple, formally known as Kikokuzan Kongo Jufuku Zenji, is the oldest Zen Buddhist temple in Kamakura's. Jufukuji Temple belongs to the Kenchoji branch of the Rinzai sect of Buddhism, and is ranked third in the Five Mountain system for Kamakura's temples. Jufukuji Temple was founded in 1200, by Hojo Masako, wife of the founder of the Kamabura Shogunate, Minamoto no Yoritomo, to enshrine Yoritomo. Today the only remaining building, the Main Hall, dates back to the 1750's, and is closed to the public.
Behind Jufukuji Temple's Main Hall is a large graveyard set into caves called yagura, where all the chief priests are buried.
Jufukuji Temple Address:
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture.
JUFUKUJI TEMPLE KAMAKURA MAP
Jufukuji Temple Kamakura is indicated by the red marker.
Author: Craig Fryer