Fukuoka Castle, also known as Maizuru Castle, was a hilltop style Japanese Castle adjacent to Ohori Koen (Park) in Fukuoka. Nagamasa ordered the construction of Fukuoka Castle in 1601. When Fukuoka Castle was completed in 1607 it had 47 turrets and covered 47,000 square metres making it the largest castle in Kyushu. Today Fukuoka Castle features the remaining stone walls and ramparts left after a devastating fire during the upheaval of the Meiji Restoration, along with some reconstructed prefabricate concrete towers constructed during the 1950s and 1960s.
Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture.
FUKUOKA CASTLE MAP
Fukuoka Castle is indicated by the red marker.
For a larger version of this map see: Fukuoka Castle Map
Author: Craig Fryer