Tokyo Itinerary 3 Day – Mt Fuji & Nikko
Tokyo Itinerary – Three Day – This suggested itinerary takes you to the best of central Tokyo, Mt Fuji, Hakone and UNESCO World Heritage Nikko. In Tokyo the itinerary includes Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Temple), Meiji Shrine, Tokyo Imperial Palace Gardens and Odaiba.
This Tokyo itinerary for 3 days would best suit someone who is more interested in the historic and traditional Japan as this itinerary places a greater emphasis on seeing some of the best temples and shrines including one UNESCO World Heritage site. This Tokyo itinerary is based on three separate organized day tours, as it is not possible to cover all of these destinations by public transport in the limited time available. Being separate day tours means you can chose which order you want to do them in or do an alternative day tour.
We recommend staying in Shinjuku during your time in Tokyo as it offers the greatest range of hotels and is centrally located. Booking your hotel via the Go Japan Go web site ensures you are guarantee the lowest rates on Tokyo Hotels. Staying in Shinjuku also allows you to go and explore the bright neon lit area after the day tours. You find place to eat from a broad range of establishments from the budget conscious to some of the best Tokyo has to offer.
Day 1 – Tokyo
The first day of this 3 Day Tokyo Itinerary is the Panoramic Tokyo Day Tour – Meiji Shrine, Asakusa Temple and Tokyo Bay Cruise (see linked page for more details), which includes the following:
- Meiji Jingu Shrine
- National Diet (Japanese Parliament House) – Drive past
- Imperial Palace East Garden – includes parts of Edo Castle
- Nakamise Shopping Street
- Sensoji Temple (also known as Asakusa Temple)
- Ginza shopping district – drive through
- Lunch looking over Hamarikyu Garden
- Tokyo Bay cruise
- Return to Tokyo Station
Day 2 – Mt Fuji and Hakone
The second day of this 3 Day Tokyo Itinerary is the Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train Day Trip from Tokyo (see linked page for more details). Weather permitting, there will be many chances to see Mt Fuji on the drive to the mountain and from some of the locations that you will stop along the way. During this time you will have a chance to see Mt Fuji from different angles and with different cloud formations in the scene. The tour includes the following:
- Tokyo city views from coach
- Mt Fuji views from coach
- Mt Fuji Visitor Center including observation deck
- Mount Fuji 5th Station (Kawaguchiko)
- Lake Ashi short cruise
- Mt Komagatake Ropeway ride to observatory
- Shinkansen (bullet train) ride back to Tokyo Station
Day 3 – Nikko
The third day of this 3 Day Tokyo Itinerary is the Nikko National Park Day Trip from Tokyo (see linked page for more details). The UNESCO World Heritage listed Toshogu Shrine is a large complex which contains the famous carvings of the three wise monkeys who hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. The tour includes the following:
- Toshogu Shrine (World Heritage Site)
- Lake Chuzenji
- Kegon Waterfall
- Return to Shinjuku or Ginza Station
- From Ginza Station or Shinjuku Station, assuming you aren’t staying in Shinjuku, you can go out on your own and explore these amazing areas. Ginza with its streets lined with the who’s who of international fashion brands along with cream of the Japanese fashion brands. While the stores are unlikely to still be open, they still present an impressive view including some areas with neon signage.