Hamamatsu Castle is a Japanese Castle in Hamamatsu Shizuoka Prefecture. Hikuma Castle had been built on the site of Japanese Castle in the early 1500s by the Imagawa clan. Tokugawa Ieyasu obtained control of area including Hikuma Castle in 1568. Tokugawa Ieyasu rebuilt and greatly expanded the castle which did not include a main donjon (tower), but featured two substaintial turrets (yagura). When the works were completed in 1577, Tokugawa Ieyasu renamed the castle, Hamamatsu Castle. The current Hamamatsu Castle was reconstructed in 1958.