Sunpu Castle, in Shizuoka city, is also known as Fuchu Castle or Shizuoka Castle. A new Sunpu Castle was built in 1585 by Tokugawa Ieyasu on the site where a smaller castle or fort had been. Sunpu Castle was upgraded to a triple moat system, a new donjon and new palace in 1607. The donjon was destroyed by fire in 1610, and a new seven story one was built. In 1635 most of Sunpu (now Shizuoka) was destroyed by fire including the castle. The palace, gates and yagura (turrets) were rebuilt by 1638, but not the donjon. In 1989 reconstruction started with the eastern gate and Tatsumi Yagura completed to date.